Contact me at lucyvictoriabrown@gmail.com because I'm always up for a natter about anything. Well, mostly.

Saturday 24 March 2012

Power Cut Fun

Some regular readers of this blog might recall that since late last year we've been struggling with some doggy anxiety-issues. Fortunately, we worked out a solution that at least kept her calm - we leave the dining room light on for her twenty-four hours a day (it's a good thing we're on energy saving bulbs!). The last vet we saw seriously mentioned that she may have doggy dementia. She's getting a little old so we want to just try and keep her calm. All well and good. Until the power decided to cut out at six o'clock on a Saturday morning!

I was woken suddenly, not really grasping what was different in my room (turned out there was no light coming through from the landing). Then I heard the usual banging as she threw herself against the door then the anxious pacing as she circled the room. I waited to hear it again before I moved. Downstairs, I realised why she'd been panicking but I originally thought the bulb in the dining room had finally blown because I was too bleary-eyed to realise I'd walked down the stairs in the dark and that I couldn't turn the kitchen light on. It took me a good few minutes to realise I was being idiotic trying to find a fresh bulb.

So what could I do? I couldn't leave her there because she'd kick off and wake my father up so my only option was to stand with my eyes half-open in the kitchen staring at the garden through the window. Three hours sleep does nothing for my sanity. Luckily, the lights came back close to seven o'clock. I left the dog with Sky News to calm her down (yes, doggy abuse) and went back to bed. But once I'm up, I'm up. Not sure I got more than an hour of sleep and I feel like I'm having an out-of-body experience. If I'd found out the power cut was down to cable theft I would've gladly tracked down the culprits and strangled them with their own ill-gotten gains. However, I think it was just a plain old surge. No violent retribution for me then, just irritated sleepiness.

No comments: